When you apply for a VA mortgage in San Diego, you will need to submit a document called a “Certificate of Eligibility,” or “COE” for short. But what is a COE, and how do you get it?
Your COE is a document that proves you qualify for a VA mortgage based on your service. The exact document that meets this need depends on your status:
Know More About Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Veterans: Obtain a copy of your discharge or separation papers (DD214) to document your service.
- Active-duty service members: You need a signed statement of service from your commander, personnel officer or adjutant.
- Current or former activated National Guard members: Provide a copy of your DD214 or discharge documents. Additional documentation will be required if you have at least 90 days of active-duty service with at least 30 consecutive days.
- Current or former activated Reserve members: Provide your DD214 or discharge documents.
- Current Reserve or National Guard members who were never activated: Provide a signed statement of service.
- Former National Guard member who was never activated: Provide your Report of Separation and Record of Service (NGB Form 22). You will need this for all your service periods. You also will require your Retirement Points Statement (NGB Form 23) as well as proof of the character of service.
- Former Reserve members who were never activated: Provide proof of your honorable service and a copy of your latest annual retirement points.
- Surviving spouses: You will need to provide the DD214 for your deceased spouse. The other documentation requirements depend on whether or not you are receiving DIC.
The Bottom Line
Even just wading through the requirements listed above may feel daunting, but it is actually pretty simple to get your COE. In fact, I can take care of it on your behalf quickly and easily using the Web LGY VA online portal. That way, you can concentrate on finding your dream home instead of worrying about paperwork.
Contact Your Mortgage Specialist Today!
During your consultation, I can answer any questions you have about your COE or the VA loan process and check if you are likely to qualify based on your service record. If you are ready to begin, please give me a call today at (619) 857-7191. I look forward to getting you into your San Diego home with a flexible VA mortgage.
Do you know how much home you can afford?
Most people don’t... Find out in 10 minutes.Get Pre-Approved Today