While shopping for your dream home in San Diego, you will probably notice some houses that feature clean modern lines but also invoke a sense of nostalgia. These are homes built in the modern architectural style. This post will explain exactly what defines this style and why you might want to think about moving into a modern home.
History of the Modern House
Modern architecture is also called “modernist” architecture. While its history dates back to the late 19th century, it was most prominent during the mid-20th century. When we talk about modernist homes in San Diego, we are often referring to the popular style known as “Mid-Century Modern.”
Defining Characteristics of the Modern House
Since “modern” is a pretty broad umbrella, the features of modernist homes in San Diego can differ quite a bit. But here are some features that are common in Mid Century Modern homes:
- Open floor plans.
- Large windows that let in lots of light.
- An emphasis on simple, clean lines and geometric forms.
- A mix of neutral and bold colors.
- Mixed materials.
Why Move Into a Modern House in San Diego?
- Make the most of San Diego’s ample sunlight. A modernist home will be flooded with natural light, reducing your need for interior lighting during the day.
- Maintain a cross breeze. You can open the large windows of your modernist home to stay cool; this may be especially effective if you are right next to the ocean.
- Fight the heat passively. Many modern homes are built out of concrete, which does a great job of regulating the interior temperature. Your home may be cooler just through its materials and design during summer, reducing your need to run your air conditioner.
- Enjoy the nostalgia. The classic mid-century look is very much in vogue right now.
Buy a Modern House in San Diego Now
Do you know how much home you can afford?
Most people don’t... Find out in 10 minutes.Get Pre-Approved Today